How to Prevent Motion Sickness + 13 Natural Treatments
It is believed that motion sickness symptoms affect between 15 and 25 percent of the general population. If motion sickness strikes during your honeymoon cruise, a business trip, or just when you are on a road trip with the family, knowing how to prevent it, and how to treat the symptoms, can make the trip much more enjoyable. Motion sickness causes nausea, vomiting, dizziness and other unpleasant symptoms while you are moving on a boat, train, airplane, car or amusement ride. Prescribed medications are available, and many natural treatments can help abate the symptoms. While most motion sickness symptoms don't present a serious, ongoing health problem, if you experience sea sickness with vomiting while on a long voyage, dehydration is likely. Final Thoughts It is easier to prevent motion sickness than it is to treat the symptoms. Natural treatments, including acupressure bands, can be effective to prevent and soothe the symptoms.
1. When traveling by vehicle or a boat, keep your eyes on the horizon. If your symptoms are worse when riding in the backseat of a car, ask to sit in the front or drive.
2. In a car or airplane, direct air vents towards your face, preferably with cool air.
3. If a vent or window isn’t available, carry a hand fan to create your own breeze.
4. On a boat, standing at the railing and getting plenty of fresh air may help to prevent symptoms from arising.
5. Sitting on the floor of the boat, or low to the ground, may also help.
6. Do not read or use a phone, tablet, or laptop computer when moving in an airplane, car, bus, train or boat.
7. Eat a light meal prior to traveling. Avoid greasy, fatty and spicy meals for a day or two before travel.
8. Listen to music. Music therapy provides many benefits, and like aromatherapy, will stimulate other senses and may keep the symptoms from setting in.
9. If you experience digital motion sickness, stop playing video games, watching a movie, or scrolling on your digital device the moment dizziness or nausea appears.
10. To prevent symptoms, look away from a digital device every 3 to 4 minutes. Focus on a stationary object 10 to 15 feet away for just a couple of seconds to encourage your vestibular system to “reset.”
source url: https://draxe.com/health/motion-sickness/